Hi! Welcome to my blog. I am a major foodie, with a haphazard cooking philosophy, currently making that transition from cooking and baking for friends and family to 'wonder if I could make this my career'. Follow me for recipes, the outcomes of a few experiments, and general lovely foodiness. Opinions, reviews and recommendations are all my own.

Sunday 3 March 2013

Plum and Almond Crumble

As much as I love experimenting with recipes and flavours from different cultures, sometimes the British Classics are just simply the best. Almost any fruit can be made into a crumble, which makes it a perfect dish as well for using up seasonal fruit. A crumble can be pepped up in any number of ways, through the addition of spices to the fruit, or nuts to the crumble mixture, a teaspoon of ginger in a rhubarb crumble totally transforms it trust me. 

Plum and Almond Crumble
Today, I had a punnet of plums that I had forgotten I bought, and they needed to be used up. I had also discovered when tidying my store cupboards that I had eight, yes eight, packs of ground almonds hanging around (for some reason, almonds and lasagne sheets I seem to always forget I have and buy them again and again unnecessarily). 


Ingredients

For the stewed plums;

350 grams plums, stones removed and quartered
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice

For the almond crumble;

125 grams plain flour
75 grams butter
80 grams sugar
30 grams ground almonds

For the topping;

Flaked almonds
1 tablespoon sugar

Method

Put the plums, sugar, water and mixed spice in a saucepan, and place over a low heat. Cook for 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved, and the plums are starting to stew, but are still holding some of their shape.



Remove from the heat, and divide into four ramekins.


In a large mixing bowl, add the flour and butter, and rub together to form a fine breadcrumb like texture. Add the sugar and ground almonds, and mix well.

Spoon the crumble mixture over the plums, and press down with the back of a spoon.


Sprinkle the flaked almonds and sugar over the top.


Bake for 20 minutes, and then serve with double cream, ice cream or custard. 

I am entering this post into this month's Credit Crunch Munch, hosted by Helen at Fuss Free Flavours, and Camilla at Fab Food 4 All, as it a great recipe for using up fruit, and is made from simple store cupboard ingredients. Helen has made a special request this month for substitutions, and this recipe is wide open for them, you can substitute the fruit, the spices, and the almonds for any combination that takes your fancy! I'd love to hear any ideas below that you might have...


12 comments:

  1. I made plum crumble using a neglected punnet of plums last night AND put some flaked almonds on top for the first time ever!
    I added some porridge oats rather than ground almonds but I like your idea of a little mixed spice in with the plums, will try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like oats in my crumble too - but I used mine up last weekend making flapjacks! The mixed spice worked really well with the plums, I also use cinnamon with apple, ground ginger with rhubarb, and a little black pepper with mixed berries... I just find a little spice lifts up the flavour of the fruit :-) there must have been something in the air for plum and almond last night then! x

      Delete
  2. The flavors must be so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chloe it was pretty good! I'm a chocolate pud girl at heart, but sometimes fruit wins :-) x

      Delete
  3. I've been looking for another plum recipe and this may be the one for me! Eight packs of almonds...haha that is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so flipping expensive! I just get a mental block on them and forget they're in the cupboard!

      Delete
  4. that looks gorgeous....I need to buy me some plums now. I've had crumble on my mind for a while now. Does it taste like a bakewell at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try it!!! It's not really anything like a Bakewell, as the almond is very subtle, with the fruit being the main taste, whereas Bakewells are very almond-y with just a hint of raspberry jam. You could try making a crumble slice though with a middle layer of raspberry jam and put almonds in the crumble to try and get the taste, but to be honest, if you want Bakewell taste, make a Bakewell tart ... Mary Berry's recipe on my blog is really easy and tastes a-ma-zing!

      Delete
  5. A bakewell tart IS certainly in my baking future trust me, and I shall be using your post for help with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well worth it I promise! My family have just munched their way through another batch! xx

      Delete
  6. You can't beat a fruit crumble and your looks delicious! Thank you for entering Credit Crunch Munch with a frugal and tasty dish:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Camilla... Little late off the block as it was last month you wanted puddings, but here it is none the less! Can't beat crumble for a cheap pud and perfect for using up leftover fruit :-) looking forward to hosting Credit Crunch Munch in Sept! x

      Delete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please leave me a comment - I always try to reply as soon as possible.

You can also find me on;
Facebook: www.facebook.com/pantrydoor
Twitter: @ThePantryDoor1
Pinterest: thepantrydoor