Hi! Welcome to my blog. I am a major foodie, with a haphazard cooking philosophy, currently making that transition from cooking and baking for friends and family to 'wonder if I could make this my career'. Follow me for recipes, the outcomes of a few experiments, and general lovely foodiness. Opinions, reviews and recommendations are all my own.

Thursday 7 February 2013

Turkish Delight Cupcakes

Turkish Delight Cupcakes, with Turkish Diamond Toppers

This recipe has been at the back of my mind for a little while. I made hampers for my relatives at Christmas, and made homemade Turkish Delight for the first time, and it go me thinking about recreating the tasts of classic sweets in a cake form. I decided to try a rose flavoured sponge, with a chocolate frosting, and topped off with a few pieces of Turkish Delight.
 
Turkish Delight Cupcakes
These cupcakes went down really well with Gary, who happily munched through is samples. I think if I made them again I might use a dark chocolate ganache rather than a buttercream for the frosting, but that's just personal preference (plus the buttercream is a lot less time consuming).
 
I did make the Turkish Delight myself, however you can be excused for buying it! I also used it as an opportunity to test drive my new diamond mould from Baked by Me, and I really liked the effect of the formed diamonds for my cupcake toppers. I tried not to lose the effect of the diamonds by covering the Turkish Delight in clouds of icing sugar, so used a mixture of icing sugar and edible pink glitter to cover them, and dusted all of the excess off. They were lovely and sparkly, although the photos don't do justice to this.
 
 
 
 
---
 
The Recipe:
 
For the rose water sponge, (makes approx 12 large cupcakes)

3 large eggs
175g butter
175g golden caster sugar
1 teaspoon rose water
175g self raising flour
3 tablespoons milk
a few drops of red food colouring

for the chocolate buttercream

150g butter
200g icing sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder

24 Turkish delight pieces to top

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper cupcake cases, and set aside.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat the eggs and add to the bowl, along with the rose water and a few drops of red food colour - enough to make the batter a light pink colour. Beat until smooth.
 
3. Add the flour, and fold into the mixture until fully combined. Add the milk, and mix to loosen the batter to a dropping consistency.
 
4. Divide into the cupcake cases, and bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes - the sponge is done when it springs back when pressed carefully. Remove from the oven, and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
 
5. Meanwhile soften the butter for the buttercream in a bowl. Add half the icing sugar and mix well. Add the remaining icing sugar and the cocoa powder, and again mix until fully combined. Adding the icing sugar in two stages just helps prevent a sugar cloud if you are mixing everything by hand like me!
 
6. Once the cupcakes have cooled, pipe the buttercream over in whatever fashion you chose - buttercream roses would be a nice touch here in keeping with the rose water flavouring of the sponge!
 
7. Finally, adorn the cupcakes with your Turkish delight, and serve!






14 comments:

  1. Ooo does the rose water flavor really come through? It sounds delicious and looks yummy!! =)

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chloe! It's quite a subtle flavour, you could always add an extra teaspoonful if you wanted it stronger, but the turkish delight pieces bring out the flavour really well too. Thinking about what other sweets I can turn into cupcakes too now! xx

      Delete
  2. Your decorating skills are incredible! And rose water? So fancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely thank you!! I was given the rose water in a gift box at Christmas, and found out that Turkish Delight is soooo easy to make - and it looks really impressive! ;-) x

      Delete
  3. These look fabulous! Love the diamond toppers - great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat! I'm trying to come up with a list of old fashioned sweets to turn into cupcake flavours - too many ideas to know where to begin at the mo! Xx

      Delete
  4. I love the sound and look of turkish delight cupcakes! You did a great job decorating too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look and sound amazing. I'm in the UK too (found you by your comment on 'Bird on a Cake') so I know I can definitely make these. Our ingredients are pesky compared to those in the US. I'mma incredibly jealous.

    Also, off topic but where did you get your plate from? I've been looking for some styled like that for a while without luck. Care to share? :)

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! Glad you like! It's funny how much of a language difference there is between the UK and US when it comes down to baking! And don't get me started on cups!?! Still - we all love cake and that's the main thing ;-)
      Would love to help with the plate... however... It's actually one half of a tea cup and saucer set that was in a hamper someone bought us for Christmas a few years ago, I have no idea where it came from :-/ Sorry I can't be more useful.. x

      Delete
    2. Oh I know, I've pretty much got them all figured out and even have a conversion guide on my blog. Can you believe our teaspoons are actually 20% bigger than the US teaspoons? More flavour for extracts I say!

      Don't worry about the plate, I'll continue my search. I think the closest I've come is in John Lewis but the edging was different and not to my taste.

      -Lisa.
      Sweet 2 Eat Baking

      Delete
    3. I checked out your blog - it's so useful! I've never seen anyone bridge the UK/US gap so well -and I never knew that about the teaspoons! x

      Delete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please leave me a comment - I always try to reply as soon as possible.

You can also find me on;
Facebook: www.facebook.com/pantrydoor
Twitter: @ThePantryDoor1
Pinterest: thepantrydoor